Home Designing – Metal & Glass Side Table Renovation

My nice little sofa for the music room arrived a few days ago, so I took the time to prepare and finish this part of the room. It’s over for the most part. The pillows you see on the sofa are probably not going to stay there. Probably. Maybe. I haven’t got a clue.

Anyway, part of the finishing of this area included a side table makeover. This is how my little side table turned out…

If you’ve been here a while, you might recognize this tisch. I got a pair of these free tables from Restposten shortly after we moved into this house. They were originally black metal and glass tables that looked like this…

I ended up painting the metal on the tables with gold spray paint, and used them in the living room for a while. Then, during the original kitchen renovation, I did a little experiment with upside-down painted glass on the tables (because I considered upside-down painted glass as a backsplash in the kitchen), and then I never used the tables again. They were sitting in the veranda (that is, my storage room).

So when I took them out to consider using them in the music room, they looked pretty awful.

But I was determined to be able to fix them and use them in the room.

I considered simply scraping the paint off the glass and giving the metal a fresh coat of golden spray paint, but I don’t know. Something about this little glam velvet sofa, next to gold and glass side tables just equal, it’s a little too predictable for me. I wanted wood to warm things up. I also did not like that the tables have three surfaces. It seemed very busy to me.

So I removed the middle shelf and made a wooden top for the table to bring some warmth to that side of the room, while keeping the bottom glass shelf to keep the look light and airy.

So I’ll show you how I did it!

I started by removing the three pieces of glass, which were just sitting inside the metal frames.

And then to remove the middle shelf, I used a hex wrench to remove the locking screws and washers.

It already seemed better without that middle shelf…

But then I had these small supports welded on the legs.

So I took the table outside, with my hammer and gerädert on these supports until the welded joint gave way.

A quick tip for using Bondo-keep in mind that it dries pretty quickly. If you are new to using Bondo, I would suggest mixing several small batches as you go rather than one large batch for the entire project at once.

While the Bondo was drying, I used my table saw to cut two pieces of MDF for the wooden top. I wanted the top to be an inch thick, so I cut two 1/2 inch pieces of MDF for each table top. Then I used a generous amount of wood glue on the first piece…

… and then stacked and aligned the second piece on top, pressing it firmly into place. Then I set it aside to let it dry.

By the time the table tops were cut and glued, the Bondo was dry.I used my rotary sander with 150 grit sandpaper to sand the smooth Bondo, then gave the table two or three coats of pure Gold Rust-Oleum spray paint.

 

When the table was dry, I tested the fit of the mdf top.

It was a pretty perfect fit, so I was ready to cover the mdf with wood veneer. I used this peeled and glued walnut wood veneer with PSA backing, which made the job very quick and easy. When working with wood veneer, I suggest always getting the PSA holder if it is available in the wood essence and size you need for your project. It’s so much easier and faster than having to roll on contact cement.

I started with the front and back edges, and for those edges I used parts with the grain going up and down.

There are many günstige veneer cutters, but this one is, by far, the best I’ve ever used. If you plan to do several wood veneer projects, I highly recommend splurging on this one.

After repeating this process on the back edge, I switched to the side edges. For these edges, I cut pieces of veneer with the grain going from side to side…

And I repeated the same process-peel the backing, press the veneer into place and cut with the veneer cutter.

Then I was ready for the last piece, which was the top. For this piece, I made sure that the grain direction went in the same direction as the long side pieces. And then I peeled, squeezed and cut.

You may not be able to see this in pictures, but after trimming the wood veneer, it has some pretty hard edges that are a bit rough.

So I sanded those edges and corners very carefully with 150 grit sandpaper and followed with 220 grit to get things very smooth. I hope you can see in the picture below how sanding these edges softens the appearance of the edges.

I just brushed the first layer with an ordinary brush, let it dry, and then sand it all with 220 grit sandpaper. Then I made a second layer, and when it was completely dry, it was over. I attached it to the top of the table with a small stitch of super glue Gorilla Gel.

For the bottom piece of glass, I simply used a straight edge razor blade scraper to remove the paint and gave it a final clean with a window cleaner.

Sounds so much better. I love the warmth that walnut wood adds to the table and this side of the room. I like the look of white lamps sitting on wood so much better than on shiny glass, whether painted on the back or transparent.

So it was a fun and relatively quick project that allowed me to get closer to a finished music room. As far as I know, the only things left in this room are to do paint touch-ups on the walls and then figure out what I want to use as a piano bench. It’s so close to being finished!

Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *