Home Hallway Flooring Progress

I finally had the Chance to return to the flooring project. I was determined to get the colored floor and at least a layer of polyurethane until last night. Well, I achieved my goal, but with pretty horrible results. But let’s go back a little.

The last time I wrote on this hallway floor, I was dealing with a stain of color from which Cooper had thrown a quarter of a blue color on the unfinished floor…

After reading all your suggestions, I decided that paint remover was the way to go. I was worried that other options, like Bleach, would bleed on the unaffected areas and thin out the wood that did not need to be thinned. Paint Stripper seemed to be the safest option. So I covered the area with Klean Strip Paint Stripper, let it sit for a few minutes, rubbed the area with a wire brush, cleaned it after washing with Klean Strip and let it dry.

I did it about three times and rectified it between each application. After the third time, I decided it was good enough.

After sanding the entire floor with 34, 60, 80, and 120 sandpaper on my hand belt sander (which I used instead of the large floor sander, as it’s such a small area), I referred to my articles I wrote the last time I reworked my floors so I could follow the exact process.

After refreshing my memory on the process, I started using the pre-stain conditioner all over the floor…

And then I mixed the stain as before-50% Minwax Dark Walnut and 50% Minwax Special Walnut.

And that’s when I should have realized that things weren’t quite right. Do you see the new stain against the stained floor of the music room at the bottom of this image? There is no way that these two floors would have the same color if they were so different at that time.

But instead of trusting my eyes that told me it wasn’t right, I decided to ignore my eyes and move forward exactly the process I had used before. With a little change.

This stain seemed to make the soils much darker than last time. So I convinced myself that all I needed to do to correct the situation was just to move something away from the darkness. And I did it all over The floor.

Once the whole thing was a little sharpened and lightened, I was ready to take the next step. Once again, I decided to ignore my lying eyes who told me that these two colors are still not the same!!! The hallway was much more of a real brown, and the music room had much more red / Orange in it.

But I kept thinking ,”This is exactly the process I used last time. I just have to trust him.”Also, if I stepped back a few meters and looked at it, the color difference seemed much less noticeable. So, again, I convinced myself that somehow, magically, the final product would be right, even though things seemed far away at this point.

So I proceeded to the next step:mix part of my stain with the first layer of polyurethane in a ratio of 1: 8. I tried right next to the music room floor. Now I know you’re thinking, ” Kristi can definitely see here that it’s not going to end well, is it?”False.

I mean, I could see it. But all of you, I just had a really silly moment when some cables were clearly crossed in my brain. Because while I was seeing these color differences, I was always telling myself to keep going and trust the process. I mean, this is exactly the same process I used before! There’s no reason why it wouldn’t work, even if my eyes were like, “Hey!! It does not work!!! Stop!”

I didn’t stop. I kept going. I laid this first layer of polyurethane all over the floor.

And when it was over, it was terrible. I was hoping things would magically change when I slept last night, but I got up this morning to see this mess…

Why did it go wrong? Well, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had taken the time to look back on my photos that I took right after the last time. This is what they looked like…

They don’t even look like the same floor. I don’t know why, but my soils have thinned over the years, and they are now decidedly more Orange. They are still not so obviously orange as they turned when I used waterlogging on the floors, but they are definitely more orange than just after the new finish.

Honestly, I had never noticed that this had happened over the years. Now, when I look at my floors, I do not notice The Orange at all. And I certainly hadn’t noticed that they were lighter than before. But if we compare the current soils with old images, it is obvious. And it became all the more obvious that I tried to use exactly the same coloring and the same finished process and the same products that now correspond to a floor completed years ago.

At this point, my only option is to sand the entire floor and start from scratch with the stain. I’m so glad it’s just a very small hallway. If it were a larger area, like a bedroom, I’d be in tears now. But this is a small area, and I am determined to do it easily. There is no time to waste on tears. I am ready to leave this ridiculous floor project behind so that I can move on to much more interesting things.

Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *